Brock Sunderland will be named Eskimos general manager: report

Brock Sunderland will be named Edmonton Eskimos general manager, according to TSN’s Farhan Lalji.

Sunderland interviewed for the Esks GM job on Thursday, which was made available after president Len Rhodes fired Ed Hervey on April 7.

Sunderland has played a role in the football operations staff Ottawa general manager Marcel Desjardins assembled when the franchise came to be in 2014. Sunderland’s stock is high after the Redblacks upset Calgary 39-33 to claim the 104th Grey Cup championship.

He was a candidate for the general manager job in Montreal last December, a position that was ultimately filled by Kavis Reed. The 37-year-old also interviewed for a similar position with the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 2015.

He spent four years with Montreal from 2004-2007, starting as a regional and advance scout before being elevated to director of scouting. Sunderland then moved to the New York Jets for six seasons as a pro scout prior to landing in Ottawa. That NFL experience means the University of Montana grad has lots of connections down south. His father Marv is a college scout for the Tennessee Titans who has spent 40 years in the NFL.

21 Comments on Brock Sunderland will be named Eskimos general manager: report

1. Bob Knows // April 22, 2017 at 1:59 pm //

Sound like a good choice, and he and Maas will already be known to each other.

Now the Esks just need to fire Rhodes!!!!!!!!!

2. Probably the best choice available.

• Marc Lebut // April 24, 2017 at 9:11 am //

Sunderland brings exactly what Hervey left with: USA scouting network. He was my choice for the Alouettes but the Wetenhall’s screw it up. Edmonton has a good guy to go with and the RedBlacks will suffer a while from his departure.

3. mrnehnehincognito // April 22, 2017 at 5:04 pm //

That’s happened pretty quick maybe he was the target all along. Once again Riders avoid a big personnel loss to another team

• Puck Hog // April 22, 2017 at 5:39 pm //

Lol, you are so predictable! With you, Mr incoherent, it always comes around to your number one obsession: THE SASKATCHEWAN ROUGHRIDERS . I guess the money you pay to your shrink is a huge waste!!!!

• mrnehnehincognito // April 22, 2017 at 11:30 pm //

You know Puck Hog I really should talk to my shrink. Maybe he’s brain washing me to like the riders

• mrnehnehincognito // April 22, 2017 at 11:11 pm //

It’s a relative comment as Esks also interviewed O’Day. I’m just pointing that out. It is true more big CFL names tend to go to Sask than leave for other CFL teams.
      I wish you guys would learn to be less sensitive

4. Haha awesome Puck Hog! Stampland you just don’t get it do you?

5. Scottsask // April 22, 2017 at 7:28 pm //

It is absurd, since the article was about the Eskies. Not much to be proud of in cowtown I reckon. Cue the hurt feelings in 3,2,1,…..

• mrnehnehincognito // April 22, 2017 at 11:14 pm //

Well not with the flames that’s for sure!. The Stamps however yeah I think there’s lots to be proud of and pretty sure you agree even though you deny it!

6. Seems like a good signing. Very young but appears to have been being groomed to become a GM.

7. Dan Bombers // April 22, 2017 at 9:13 pm //

Good hiring Sunderlands a great young mind in our league not the same old recycled gm like barker and taman great move Eskimos

8. Great hire – I’m sure his connection to Maas also helped as it’s clear he wasn’t going anywhere. I couldn’t see O’Day landing in Edmonton & don’t know why he would want to go there. Sometime before FA 2018 the Esk GM has to trade Franklin as he wants to start. Imagine what would happen if Franklin got traded to the Riders for very little & actually becomes a star. Shades of Tillman & the Ricky Ray trade. In fact any trade with the Riders under O’Day that worked out for the Riders would be questioned. It made very little sense to me to hire O’Day. He’s a good, solid guy though – I’m happy he’s still in Regina.

• I’m not sure it will be Franklin that gets traded… he still has a lot to prove, and Reilly was at the top of his game last season, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Esks decide their future is better off staying with the younger talent.

And I’ll second Dan Bombers — it’s great to see a fresh name in the GM rotation. Good luck to Sunderland.

• Puck Hog // April 23, 2017 at 1:01 pm //

Right on, msd. Franklin is still an unknown commodity, although he has potential. Obviously Jones likes him. If Reilly remains healthy, Franklin will not be a starter in Edmonton. Franklin is aware that the Roughies are interested in him, and can the Esks afford to pay a back-up QB the money that Franklin will be demanding next year at the end of his contract? Esks may be looking to get something for him while they can, as opposed to letting him sign elsewhere where they will receive nothing.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 23, 2017 at 1:24 pm //

There’s no telling what direction new GM will go.Right now he has 2 possible options at QB and all season to figure it out

9. mrnehnehincognito // April 23, 2017 at 12:27 pm //

Boy I’ll tell you. This phantom, mythical trade of James Franklin to Sask is gaining the same Folklore as the Lochness monster or Lost City of Atlantis

10. Patience // April 23, 2017 at 1:45 pm //

Jones fans should get over Franklin already. Some Rider fans have been criticized harshly for lamenting the loss of Darian Durant. They are disturbed by what we had and gave up; some of you are carrying on about what could very well never be.

11. Young bright hardworking guy. Learned a lot under Popp and Marcel in the CFL. With his NFL experience and his dad with the Titans sending him good info on NFL cuts it should be a WIN WIN for the Eskimos. Mass in a comfort zone with him also.

12. They have to do something with Franklin. Either he’s the starter, if Reilly gets injured again, or he gets traded because he wants to start. I really don’t see him going to Regina. Word I’ve heard is Maas is a big Reilly guy & told Reilly last year he didn’t want him to run as much. As so, Reilly only sat out the final game & was healthy all year. If they’re looking @ Franklin, he has to play & he did precious little of that last year. In fact with Reilly sitting down in the last game, Franklin only played just a little over a half. So, if Franklin doesn’t see playing time this year, I can’t see the Esks keeping him. But I agree that despite the thinking Regina is the obvious destination, I don’t buy it. With O’Day there would always have been the thought it could happen. They would have to get an unbelievable deal from the Riders, otherwise no.