Why Len Rhodes was wrong to fire Ed Hervey

By Allison Currie

When I received a text Friday morning that said, “Ed Hervey was fired,” I thought it was either a joke to get me riled up or the person texting me had been the victim of Facebook rumours. Those were the only two logical explanations I could come up with; the key word of this is “logic” – something this decision is severely lacking.

When Hervey came in as general manager of the Edmonton Eskimos, he was replacing the unpopular Eric Tillman. (That sound you just heard was the collective shudder of longtime Eskimos fans at the thought of the former GM who traded away quarterback Ricky Ray). It was the return of what longtime Eskimos fans know as BONE – Brotherhood of Nasty Eskimos. The day of the hiring was such an immediate change in culture and outlook that retired Edmonton Eskimo Jed Roberts walked into Hervey’s office, where they just sat and listened to The Beatles’ ‘Here Comes the Sun’ on repeat. It was a new start; it was a return to the culture that has long been sacred to the green and gold.

Hervey suffered through years of mismanagement, watching Tillman dismantle the scouting apparatus in favor of his three-ring binders. He waited patiently, he knew what the team needed to return to its empire days and he held on to that. At a fan event prior to the 2015 season, Hervey admitted to those in attendance that he knew what it was going to take to right the ship, but kept it from Tillman in order to protect the team and organization.

While unpopular with many mainstream media members, Hervey continued that protectiveness by limiting unnecessary gimmicks the media and league tried to introduce. From what I have been told, the live mic debacle stemmed from the Eskimos board of directors agreeing to the live mics, but not properly including football operations and the team in the decision. This left Hervey in a position to stand by his key players and head coach, Jason Maas, and not wear live mics during their game against Montreal.

This should have been our first sign that there was a serious disconnect between the suits and football operations.

The second major sign? Len Rhodes’ quote in his press conference, claiming that the Grey Cup isn’t enough. I guess stepping into a total circus, making the playoffs nearly every year and a Grey Cup win isn’t the mark of a great general manager. I guess having a team lose substantial personnel to questionable moves a province over, yet still making the West Final isn’t enough.

The lack of connection between the Eskimos and the community – lower attendance – has nothing to do with Hervey. To put blame on a man who lives up to “once an Eskimo, always an Eskimo” is ludicrous. It’s also short-sighted, as problems began long before Hervey came along and are issues that have nothing to do with the GM position.

A sarcastic #EdHerveysFault hashtag started on Twitter, touching on many of the issues that have created a gap between the organization and fan experience.

It’s not Hervey’s fault that the in-game experience is lacking. During a home game against B.C., the Eskimos defence came up big and had the crowd on their feet, the loudest I had heard all season. Instead of having the forethought to let the crowd noise roll, to continue with replays on the big screen, the game crew cut to a pre-produced non-football related video – death of crowd noise.

It’s not Hervey’s fault they had “social media night” in which absolutely nothing special happened.

It’s not Hervey’s fault that years ago, the Eskimos put up a steel black fence around the field, killing the accessibility feeling fans got to enjoy for decades prior.

It’s not Hervey’s fault the organization completely ignored the fans who adamantly and vocally opposed the hiring of Eric Tillman after his legal issues in Saskatchewan. Who cares if he was media-friendly?

What is Hervey’s fault?

A return of the tight-knit Eskimos culture, where players respect their GM and know he always does what is best for the team and the product on the field. As one current player told me, “Hervey had (my) back.” To this player, the situation is now “scary”.

In an effort to gain control, soothe his ego, and appease media, Rhodes has left the players in a vulnerable position by firing their well loved GM. As a lovely addition, it is just weeks before training camp. Great timing.

The issues Rhodes and the Eskimos blamed Hervey for have nothing to do with the general manager position, nor should they. A general manager should be responsible for putting together a team that is consistently competitive. Hervey did that.

The firing reeks of ego and a completely out of touch view of what is negatively impacting ticket sales and community connection.

– Allison Currie is an Edmonton-based writer, Producer, customer service expert and social media guru. Follow her on Twitter @AlleyDalley.

63 Comments on Why Len Rhodes was wrong to fire Ed Hervey

1. Herodotus // April 9, 2017 at 1:25 pm //

Ed Hervey deserved to be fired. He has only himself to blame. *sniff* *sniff*

• Brent Smith // April 10, 2017 at 7:25 pm //

Hit that nail right on the head! Well written Allison. Suits is the word. I don’t think Rhodes made the decision to fire Hervey. Sounds like a snot face on the board pushing for an ego soothing fix.

2. The GMs that Rhodes has had have now been fired becuase Rhodes let do whatever they wanted, then when Terry Jones critized him for it, his ego couldn’t handle it and he fired them.
    This is all about the poor leadership of Rhodes and nothing more. Good leaders have people that will follow him.
    Rhodes has no connection to the fans. I passed him once on the concourse and said “Hi, good luck today” and got nothing but I am better than you look back.
    24 years a season ticket holder, worst person we have had running the team.

3. Dee zee // April 9, 2017 at 1:29 pm //

Obviously a big hervey fan ,lots more to this than whats been said publicly…….

• Double EE // April 12, 2017 at 4:19 pm //

This has to do with Hervey’s personal life and his demons. Its not a big secret when you’re from Edmonton. Eventually it all got back to the team. They had to do something. I am upset about what happened but knowing it, I understand why Rhodes did what he did.

4. mrnehnehincognito // April 9, 2017 at 1:34 pm //

Is this organization at a fork in the road? I would love to see this team regain the evil empire reputation they had throughout 70s,80s,90’s and even into the 2000’s. This is an organization I’ve always admired as the CFL’s perennial winner and the flagship of the league both on and off the field ( I know rider fans will disagree but until they can be a winner that stretches the decades this is not the case). They are as close to the Montreal Canadien, Green Bay Packers,New York Yankees as there is in the CFL. A truly strong franchise in an underdog league.
    If this team has another decade like the one just passed this will no longer be the case and that will be a black eye for the whole league.
    Remember too I’m a stamps fan saying all this!

• Lionsfan4life // April 10, 2017 at 1:37 am //

Got to disagree the Stampeders are the flagship team in the CFL. Perennial winners and Grey Cup contenders year after year. Then a toss up between the Lions and the Eskimos; followed by the Redblacks, then the Riders.

5. The Argos and Roughriders of 2016 did little to Embellish the CFL Brand. In a 9 team league — the “product” can be severely tarnished.

• Perhaps you’re correct regarding the Rider organization and some of Chris Jones’ doing, but let me tell you, Rider fans certainly make the league’s heart tick with a beat. And that can’t be said in Edmonton when nearly half the crowd are cheering for the Green and White.

• Remember when the Riders couldn’t pay thier hotel bills? Had to have a lottery to pay bills? Rider fans quickly forget what a tire fire that organization was until the early 2000’s

• Puck Hog // April 9, 2017 at 3:03 pm //

What does your comment have to do with the comment to which you are replying? Rider fans have an unswerving loyalty to their team, regardless if the team is broke. If you are a CFL fan, be thankful that the Riders have survived and are thriving.

• I remember that very well and if you read some of my other comments you would recognize that. Perhaps I didn’t elaborate, but in the past 10-15 years the Roughriders have done extremely well financially and are the envy of the league as far as fan support is concerned. Believe me, I’ve been following the league since the early-’70’s, so I’m very well versed on our fortunes and misfortunes. Maybe you can explain why your stadium is always half-empty. Maybe a change needed to be made in Edmonton — Please inform.

• Funkenstein // April 11, 2017 at 9:58 pm //

Lots of teams have been on the brink of folding. Toronto is barely hanging on today. Ottawa and Montreal have been in and out more than once and Hamilton had some pretty lean years too. So it is more common than just that one time when the community or the league steps in to save an organization if they can.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 9, 2017 at 3:18 pm //

greenrider89
        The Esks have experienced declining attendance in recent years yet last year their average was only 500 less than yours. Remember their stadium is huge compared to old or new mosaic. It is hard for me to argue the riders have the best fan support in terms of attendance and merchandise sales but remember this is all fairly recent spurred on by the success between 2007-2013. If this support is maintained and the riders can achieve long term (a few decades) on field success than I will have to agree with you. The riders haven’t been without their financial crises and near demises any less than other teams. The esks have!

• I don’t dispute that at all. And that is what I replied back to one your earlier comments regarding dismal Rider fan support in the early-mid ’80’s. But when someone criticizes the organization as ‘tarnished’ as hootoil did, I lifted a positive over a negative. And nothing against Edmonton, but one should also consider a population base of Edmonton’s being larger than the entire population of Saskatchewan. Mr. Nehnehincognito, I think Saskatchewan has done quite well considering fan support in Saskatchewan and green and white fan support in other stadiums as well.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 9, 2017 at 4:44 pm //

I think you and I have a lot in common Saskrider 89. Both very passionate about CFL. I can tell you if not for the fact the flames own the stamps I could care less about them (the flames I mean). I was against flames buying but now realize they provide great financial stability for stamps.
            Unfortunately not many living in places like Cal or Edm share this and tend support their respective hockey teams far more than cfl teams. That’s one of the reasons the disproportionate support in Sask vs the larger markets. Also remember until recently the economy is sask wasn’t great and people moved other places for opportunity. Hence why so much green and white in other stadiums. As stated its an untenable argument to say rider support isn’t the greatest in the league buts its relatively a newly founded claim and while the on field product has hugely improved overall in the last decade it doesn’t have a long tradition.

• I believe there are some common interests with both of us regarding the CFL and the number of years we, both, have supported our teams. I do agree, the success the Roughriders have had in the past 10 years has skyrocketed sales of merchandise and increased attendance. I do know the Saskatchewan Rush, since arriving from Edmonton, have basically sold out every game of 15,000-plus. I believe we also lead with attendance in that regards as well. But I do admit, the price of attending an NHL game is absolutely ridiculous and also question how many of the general population attend a game for $400-500 in the lowers without a business or corporation passing out those tickets. Certainly, nosebleed seats are much cheaper and compare to the regular price of (Saskatchewan) Rush tickets. I personally think the NHL is so overrated, though, and I blame the Canadian media for overexposure of the sport. I guess I could say basketball is our game since we introduced the sport. Or even, lacrosse, for that matter. Plus, what about curling? The Canadian women not losing a game (once again) and finishing with gold in world curling. And the men on the verge of accomplishing the same feat. So it really makes me laugh when I hear the CBC overstating the case, “We are the greatest and this is our sport.” In what? Curling, hockey, lacrosse — Give me a break. I have to admit the American’s showcase football, baseball, hockey and basketball. The media on TSN and Sportsnet have an extremely narrow-minded view and provide 45 minutes of hockey coverage and 15 minutes for every other sport. It actually seems we get hockey shoved down our throats — like it or not. Please, I enjoy hockey, but get tired of our country showcasing it so much. I consider my interests as balanced. I am a CFL fan first and foremost, then hockey and baseball. And you do provide a great analysis that can be argued in so many ways as far as best (or greatest) sports fans in sports are concerned.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 9, 2017 at 10:12 pm //

It so funny I couldn’t agree with you more about hockey hype in this country. I laugh when TSN spends an entire day with their live up to the minute coverage of Free agent frenzy July 1st and trade deadline show. Totally ridiculous. I will give some credit though as I enjoy their coverage of round 1 of CFL draft started a few years ago and this year they did a brief show when FA started at noon est on Feb 13.
            Anyways let’s stay in touch on here greenrider89

• Hey, no problem. I’ve enjoyed the discussions and look forward to more. I will admit as well, I appreciate TSN a thousand times more than Sportsnet. Sportsnet can have their NFL football and the Buffalo Bills, then sulk why the NFL continues to ignore Toronto’s interest in ‘their’ sport. Way to go, Sportsnet — You get the thumbs down!!!

• If you actually ask the Eskimo fans what they think … Allison is 100% in tune with what Esk fans think in the market. Since this is what matters it would be smart to listen to the market. Right now on Esk Fans, Eskimo Empire, Eskimo Diehards and many other sites Allison is getting applauded. It only those outside the market that seem to have a problem with what she wrote and quite frankly these opinions don’t matter.

• ReillyRocks // April 9, 2017 at 4:47 pm //

Isn’t this article to try to sway hearts and minds into believing that Ed did absolutely nothing to get fired? If the rest of the world doesn’t matter outside of Edmonton why take the time to bore us with the editorial about how you feel? We got it, Ed did nothing, it is all Len Rhodes fault>>>>>>ya that’s the ticket;)

• No, this article is simply capturing what is thought in the Edmonton market by many hardcore Esk fans. On Friday the Esks were slammed with calls, Twitter was on fire, facebook a blaze and former players commenting on Esks Fans, call in shows getting plenty of text and calls. All firmly coming out against the firing. The article is for Eskimo fans and has already stoked the fire. It really not about those outside the market, but feel free to ignore it if you don’t like it.

6. Allison, great job and 100% on point. You get it, because you are an Edmontonian. Those outside of Edmonton cannot and will never get what you are saying in this piece. As pressure builds on the BOD from the fan base Rhodes support will erode and eventually collapse. I fully expect Rhodes to back Jim Barker for GM and Esk fans to light this hiring on fire. Rhodes is on the ropes after making the choice he did and he most likely will not be employed by the Esks by the end of 2017 as a result.

• Marc Lebut // April 10, 2017 at 10:45 am //

Great article indeed!

Firing Hervey to hire Barker would be insane. Look what he’s done with the Argos since 2013. He’s not in the game anymore.

I hope Esks fans will speak loud about this. Rhodes said “Winning the Grey Cup is great, but that’s not enough.” What can be enough for CFL GM, then? My take is that Hervey asked for a vet CFL GM salary and Rhodes got jealous, as it could mean his employee would earn a bigger paycheck than him.

7. The paw // April 9, 2017 at 2:15 pm //

This isn’t an article, it’s a discussion forum rant. Do better 3downnation….

8. Very good article, I believe the board of directors should listen to the fans before we start the season. I fully supported Jason and Mike for not wearing the microphone. We need our Eskimo culture back. Not a media playground.

• Puck Hog // April 9, 2017 at 3:07 pm //

Why would you support the anti-mic stance? It was a proposal agreed to by all the teams to better engage the fans. A great proposal!

9. Solara2000 // April 9, 2017 at 2:33 pm //

Not an Edmonton resident or Eskimo fan (Oskeeweewee…) but I do agree with mrnehnehincognito and his comments regarding the EE being the standard-setting organization of the CFL. Hard to argue with all those GC’s.

Can agree with Allison Currie’s observations around scheduling “It’s not Hervey’s fault that there have been fan unfriendly stretches of Thursday night games, combined with long gaps between home games.” This is a CFL issue that is all the teams are either the victim or instigator. The scheduling is abhorrent and does nothing to build fan interest, in fact just the opposite. The League, and the 9 teams are the League, seems to operate as a clandestine entity defying its fans to be connected with mindless scheduling, ‘treadmill’ rosters and predictable and mediocre TV broadcasting of its product.

Hey and this rant is coming from a 60 year CFL fan who would rather watch a CFL game any day of the work over the No Fun League product.

10. diehardesksfan // April 9, 2017 at 2:43 pm //

This is spot on. Hervey is being made to take the fall for Rhodes shortcomings as leader. The only thing Rhodes is accomplishing with this move will be a further decline in ticket sales.

11. Stephen Fisher // April 9, 2017 at 2:43 pm //

Paw

And what’s wrong with a good discussion as long as it remains cordial?

12. I would really like to see the (Pin Ball) Clemons brought into management with one of the 9 teams – maybe EE

Enthusiasm 100%

13. Please help us out, if Hervey had to rebuild the “scouting apparatus”, what players is he responsible for bringing to the Eskimos? Paul Jones has been the backbone of scouting in Edmonton through the tenures of multiple GM’s. Tillman/Reed/Jones left the team with a strong roster of players. This argument has no merit, your now engaging an audience that can think for them selves.

#EdHerveysFault looks like one loyal Hervey fan had too much to drink and went wild posting anything to see if it would stick and 3 Down Nation has allowed you to copy and paste his grievances. Not exactly great journalism.

You should go support your friend, and let him leave with some dignity and respect instead of making irrelevant arguments that have nothing to do with why he was fired.

He probably was employable when terminated: the NFL, CFL and the NCAA won’t be interested in taking on all this drama.

Edmonton hired him, Edmonton can fire him. I am sure he got paid out for the rest of his contract and could see the writing on the wall when they didn’t renew.

Maybe some tome for some critical self reflection by Mr. Hervey. One of the greatest qualities of successful leaders is humility. When you point the finger there are three pointing back.

Truly, wish Mr. Hervey the best.

• Hammer77 // April 9, 2017 at 4:01 pm //

Actually having a hard time looking at the roster trying to figure out who he was directly responsible for bringing in?! really Reilly is the only one and a good one, giving credit where it is due. Franklin is Jones find. as far as draft picks are concerned he took a lot of futures and the guys that he has drafted that are available don’t start. not a great strategy or track record there. seems like this author is blowing smoke, where there is smoke there is fire.

• Sigh … Franklin was not Jones … where do people get this from? Franklin was on the Esks neg list, put on that list by … wait for it … Hervey based on midwest scout Mitch Matuska. As Franklin has stated in an article on cfl.ca, he was a teammate at Mizzou with Kendial Lawrence. After he was injured in his senior year he went undrafted and received only a look from the Detroit Lions. Out of football he was able to connect Archie Manning (yes that Archie Manning), who suggested the CFL. Franklin called Lawrence, who had a taste in Hamilton, and asked about the CFL. Franklin finds out that he is on the Esks neg list after making a few inquires and sets up a tryout during the spring scouting tour.

• Hammer77 // April 9, 2017 at 4:37 pm //

You seem to have knowledge of Edmonton’s neglist which is interesting and are at the very least are a diehard fan. Maybe you could clarify things. Who on the current roster is Hervey directly responsible for finding? How many of his draft picks over the last four years are starters?

• ReillyRocks // April 9, 2017 at 5:21 pm //

Franklin was on Winnipeg’s NL in 2013, I also was told that it was Paul Jones and Chris Jones who brought him to Edmonton. Would love a fact check by someone like Justin Dunk.

14. A bit of a rant with errors. (i.e. I thought BC and Calgary were in the West Final.) My guess is Hervey took a gamble and asked for the moon. Rhodes simply didn’t want to go there.

15. Re: While unpopular with many mainstream media members, Hervey continued that protectiveness by limiting unnecessary gimmicks the media and league tried to introduce.

Author just blew the test for being rationale and objective. So who other than blind Eskimo fans would be in favor of saying “Screw You” to the entity that is the league’s biggest source of revenue for no logical reason? Not only that, the Eskimos were playing the struggling non-playoff team in Montreal who they could have beaten with a vanilla offense and defense. Besides, the Eskimos had agreed to be mic’d beforehand and then bailed right before kickoff.

After the Eskimos were fined and were required to be mic’d in a meaningless final game of the year against the worst team in the CFL, they gave another “F You” as Jason Maas said nothing the whole game.

Issue is power with Ed Hervey. He just doesn’t want to be told what to do. If the “gimmicks” were his idea, I suspect he would be all in. Case could also be made this guy is on the side of being paranoid.

16. Cameron // April 9, 2017 at 3:58 pm //

The Rhodes/Tillman hiring itself shows how disconnected the BOG is from the fan base. The Rhodes/Tillman tenure was a disgrace to what the Edmonton Eskimos stood for. To hire a convicted abuser of children to be GM of the Eskimos and then for the mainstream media to protect Tillman for as many years as they did (just because he provided leaks), was not only a disgrace to the Eskimos but the City of Edmonton as a whole.

• GreenDream // April 9, 2017 at 4:22 pm //

Hasn’t Tillman been gone for 4 years? You are grasping at straws here. Ed has to be accountable for Ed. All this Tillman spinning is a joke and has gone on for so long that the rest of the country clicks off when you all babble on and on about it.

• Cameron // April 9, 2017 at 5:11 pm //

Rhodes and the BoG need to be held accountable. You may not have a problem with a community based team hiring an abuser of children to lead the team, I do. The culture of team, the team values no longer align with the fans of the team and it’s a problem, it’s one of the reasons why people no longer go to the games.

17. Jones credit for coaching Esks to GC should be acknowledged but giving credit to him for players that came in is overblown. Ultimately it’s the GM who decides who comes to training camp. Murphy left Calgary & yet they find Daniels to replace Rogers. Walker was obviously off to the NFL & they find Zylstra – 500+ yds last 6 games. Murphy & Jones clean house 1st season in Regina & what impact players did they find via scouting with all those roster spots opened up? Look at the roster. It’s loaded with starters discovered by other clubs & other team’s backups. So much for their ability to “find” talent. As for the draft, pretty bad last year.

18. GreenDream // April 9, 2017 at 5:36 pm //

You are really spinning it hard core, Tillman has been gone for almost half a decade. So people have not gone to games for the past 4+ seasons because of Eric Tillman, really??? Maybe you need to go to #EdHerveysFault and come up with some more reasons why people are not attending according to this article. Since Tillman and Ray for that matter, you won a GC, too bad you missed all that. The Tillman card doesn’t work anymore. If there is a disconnect with the values of the club and fans because the club fired EH then why not just say that.

• Cameron // April 9, 2017 at 6:32 pm //

It’s not Tillman that was the problem it was Len Rhodes the individual that hired him with the acceptance of the board. As you are not at Eskie fan I don’t expect you to understand. There was a time when the people of Edmonton were proud to be a community owned team. This is no longer the case, hasn’t been for a number of years. They have completely lost touch with the people of Edmonton, that’s the problem. Hervey was starting to bring back the swagger, bring back the pride, now that’s gone. Now we just a faceless board and Len Rhodes running the show, only accountable to TSN. There was a time when the Eskie board cared about the players on the field, cared about the fans, now they only care about the TSN. In reality things have been going down hill since Hugh Campbell left the organisation. And that’s great they have a great TV deal, thing is the Eskie brass have done abosolutely nothing to sell the game over the last number of years, and slowly the league is dyeing in this city.

19. GreenDream // April 9, 2017 at 7:27 pm //

Do you think that Hugh Campbell would have not complied with class to the League wide agreed upon QB mic? His son Rick sure did, and his stock with fans went up too. I appreciate that there are fans in Edmonton who are devoted to Ed Hervey. I also appreciate your insight and hope that the EEFC is listening about the need to ignite the fans by holding on to your rich and successful football traditions and living your community values. Thanks for the reply.

20. Ed was a employee of the Eskimos. He was ask to do something by the league, TSN and the organization. He chose not to do it. He should give them back the 20K the team was fined and his HC who was fined 15K because of his actions and directions. If anyone else in the working world caused this type situation they would of been FIRED within 24hrs. He simply go a extended grace time till everything took its proper course. Simple as that!!

21. Did he have the players backs when he publicly humiliated Simon Rottier.Hervey was nothing but an arrogant f…..g asshole who was not a team player to the leagues agenda.

22. Len Rhodes is the next guy in line to be fired.
    He should have never been hired but it is difficult for those who hired him to admit they frucked up.

23. Cuzzinator // April 9, 2017 at 11:32 pm //

Hervey was fired over salary demands and philosophical differences. He was never blamed for any of the things you brought up. Attendance issues are league wide. Those “Fan unfriendly stretches of Thursday night games”? Got news for you, BC had them too, yet Wally is still employed. Those non football related videos? We get them in BC place too. A lot of them help pay the bills. These are things other teams dealt with also…, trying to use them to mask why Hervey was fired
    As for the things that were his fault, lets start with that disconnect that was mentioned. Hervey was the GM. The Board of Directors and the President and CEO run the business that is the Edmonton Eskimos. Not GM Hervey. They do not need to consult him on any decision they make. Period. If they do, its out of courtesy only. It is his job to carry out those decisions and agreements. The CFL and TSN wanted Live mics for the live broadcasts (you know… those gimmicks you mentioned). When someone pays 40 million dollars to broadcast your product, and they ask for live mics on players and the coach…, you give it to them. No debate, no discussion. Hervey banned the Media from the dressing room in 2012. He won’t change it back. TSN doesn’t like it. When someone pays 40 million dollars to broadcast your product, and they ask for post game locker room access…, you give it to them. What Hervey was doing wasn’t merely biting the hand that fed him, he was biting the hand that fed the league. And that could not be tolerated. Those were the “philosophical differences” that got him fired, and they were completely under his control. Hervey (and fans )have no one to blame but himself.

• How dare you wave reality and fact in the face of a blinder wearing tantrum.
      Nicely put and I always felt he got way to much credit anyway.

24. A real woman football fan- not a fake one // April 9, 2017 at 11:46 pm //

Half of this article sounds like it is written by someone who doesn’t have a clue about football in the first place.

Allison is sarcastically saying ‘Isn’t it good enough that the Eskimos made it to the west finals even after Saskatchewan poached our staff?’

For one- I don’t think it is a accomplishment to be the fourth best team in the western division- and she does know they didn’t play in the west final, right? Because they didn’t play in the west division playoffs.
    They were moved over to the east, and played in the east final, after squeaking out a win in the first round.

Please. Get some credited writers who know what they’re talking about. This is absolute nonesense.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 10, 2017 at 12:53 am //

Just because they finished forth and “squeaked out” a win in the ESF doesn’t mean it’s not an impressive accomplishment. They traveled across the country twice for playoffs and came very close to getting to the grey cup. Remember the west is very good so finishing 4th is nothing to be ashamed of.

25. Another “F You” from the Ed Hervey’s Eskimos last year was when they were the only the only team in the CFL not to have anybody wearing pink during Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

Sure, that was just another gimmick that Eskimos are somehow justified that they should ignore.

26. William DuBroy // April 10, 2017 at 8:34 am //

clearly a ridiculous article. Ed is an egotistic bully who did not follow his own bosses directives. He also was very far apart in agreeing to a contract extension because he, as usual, overvalued himself. that means he would have been gone at season’s end anyway and would have been a lame duck Gm this year..
    Don’t bite the hand that feeds you, no matter how good you thin you are.
    And what was that part of the article where the author said Ed knew how to fix the team and organization to make it great again, but held any ideas from his boss at the time? Boy, what a team player, loyal to the organization and Eskimos, he turned out to be. Good riddance. Nobody is bigger than the team and it’s success on and off the field

• That same hand just said Ed was the best GM in the league…also winning isn’t everything and then winning is everything.
      Sometime the hand feeding you doesn’t deserve to be the one calling the shots.

27. Actually the esks agreed to the mic game only because they were told no-huddle offenses would be except. That changed later on and that is when they declined to participate. Blame the CFL and tsn for not following their own guidelines. It was alao confirmed that in December of last year Ed agreeded to any and all mic’d games.

28. Wow what a homer article here and better take your blinders off. I love the jealous comments about a province over. Oh boo hoo and for as much as most of us don’t like it, it is also a business. My memories of Hervey as a GM we his stupid and childish threats to his players via the media (ya he took the high road there several times) demanding things to change. Face it they won the Cup in 2015 because of Jones, not Hervey. It’s not like the Riders offered all of those players a 50% raise, no those players were there because of Jones and with him gone they wanted out also.
    What a cute little 1 sided blinder wearing article.

• All 3 players…and two returned to the Esks

• That was 4 players in 2016 free agency and the 2 that returned were absolute duds especially Chambers. Don’t forget grabbing Jefferson in mid season after his NFL attempt. We will happily take Franklin in next years free agency as well.

• And you chastise people for having blinders on. Jones gave Chambers a huge payday and Ed got him back for less. How’s that 5 win GM doing for you?

• No blinders as I would have said at the time I didn’t feel that Chambers was worth bringing in and could have told you he would have been playing behind Demski anyway. I praise Jones for his coaching ability, but he is still learning the ropes of the GM duty. Lets talk wins and loses come October. Now that makes more sense doesn’t it because let’s face it every thing is only on paper in April.