Stamps’ Tommie Campbell says drug charges against him have been dropped

According to Calgary Stampeders defensive back Tommie Campbell, all charges against him have been dropped.

Campbell was arrested in January after police obtained a search warrant for his mother’s home in his hometown of Aliquippa, Pennsylvania and allegedly found crack cocaine and a quantity of cash inside a Calgary Stampeders’ backpack. According to a local paper, he faced 21 counts each of possession of a controlled substance and possession with intent to deliver, plus 10 counts of possession of drug paraphernalia, one count of flight to avoid apprehension and one of tampering with evidence.

Campbell was a CFL all-star in his first season with the Stamps, starting in all 18 games. He had 71 defensive tackles including a tackle for a loss, one special-teams tackle, three interceptions and nine knockdowns.

The 29-year-old was originally drafted in the seventh round by Tennessee in 2011. He played 44 games over four seasons with the Titans and Jacksonsville Jaguars.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1193 Articles)

46 Comments on Stamps’ Tommie Campbell says drug charges against him have been dropped

1. Here’s hoping this chapter is truly behind him for both personal and professional reasons.

2. Capt Kirk // April 3, 2017 at 11:51 am //

That’s good news for the Stamps. One of the best corners in the league

3. Usually where there’s smoke it is the result of a fire. Sounds like this fire has been put out but the Stamps better get ALL the facts before Campbell is invited to camp for the 2017 season.

4. George Porge // April 3, 2017 at 2:42 pm //

As much as I hope this is true, I will believe it when a statement is issued by the police or some other, more reliable source.

Back when he was arrested, he was caught with the drugs in-hand. I’m curious why the sudden change of heart.

5. mrnehnehincognito // April 3, 2017 at 4:29 pm //

I will wait until something is official although it’s hard to imagine he would say it is it’s not true. I guess Calgary brings him back?. Did he hire OJ’s dream team who found a technicality?

6. Wow. Agree with George. If anyone saw the report, it is very hard to imagine that charges would be dropped. Dude was completely busted.

7. SaskWatch // April 3, 2017 at 8:37 pm //

If true, he must have beaten this on a technicality – Perhaps an improper search warrant? How else could he beat 32 charges?

Even if someone else took the rap he was still observed fleeing the scene with drugs and money (in a Stampeders knapsack).

• SaskWatch // April 5, 2017 at 1:55 am //

There is another possible means for beating these charges that I hadn’t considered… That being that he turned in his supplier in exchange for immunity.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 7:29 pm //

You’re grasping at straws Saskwatch. Unfortunately you will have to face the fact Calgary’s 2 shutdown young corners will render your over hyped receiving group insignificant.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 7:32 pm //

I think you watch too much NCSI saskwatch. That’s not really a thing. If it was every drug lord in this world would be in jail. As would every pimp.

8. mrnehnehincognito // April 3, 2017 at 8:44 pm //

based on the story it’s hard to imagine he’s not guilty. Could be a technicality or there’s more to the story than we know. Until there’s something official its hard to say

9. Mazatlan Mojito // April 3, 2017 at 9:49 pm //

I’m willing for all the facts to be revealed until making a judgement. Too many people including those commenting on this website have been quick to convict him in the court of public opinion. This guy is certainly no Dexter Manley, Art Schlichter, or Lawrence Phillips. If he’s cleared then I would be ready to welcome him back to the CFL.

10. mrnehnehincognito // April 3, 2017 at 10:00 pm //

Could be a crow buffet after this is all down. Here and other sites fans of a certain team have been relentless in their criticism of this young man.

• You can never just leave the Riders or their fans out of your comments eh mrnehnehincognito/Stampland. Even when the story doesn’t involve them….I stated I don’t want to reply to you anymore but jeez you are so frustrating…

• Ladd Law // April 4, 2017 at 9:20 pm //

Feel your pain. It really takes a small person to continue on a track when so many have asked them to call it a day. Frankly it would be considered unhealthy by most professional psychologists and they would certainly recommend therapy and moving on. Yet he they are under a new name spewing the same bs. As for the story of note, I am sure we’ll know more about it soon enough. Hopefully if true, the young man has turned a corner and on a new path.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 4, 2017 at 10:27 pm //

It just kills you and Rowdy that this forum is open and allows free flow of thoughts and doesn’t screen those who may oppose your team. You guys really need thicker skin

• Its also a forum that allows people like yourself to comment anywhere from 5 to 10 times for each story on here…no matter how annoying or juvenile you present yourself. You are like the know-it-all at the bar that won’t shut up. You love the attention and you have become the laughing stock of 3 Down Nation.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 7, 2017 at 11:42 am //

Again that was a crude analogy against Chris Jones. Not a personal insult against a commentator on 3 downnation. CFL people are fair game.Commentators to this site aren’t

11. mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 12:18 am //

The old J5V by spalding. A classic football!. I consider being the laughing stock of 3DN an honor!

12. SaskWatch // April 5, 2017 at 1:18 am //

“I consider being the laughing stock of 3DN an honor!”

No doubt… Trolls thrive on negative attention.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 10:29 am //

lol Than Jones must feel 10 feet tall!

• And now you are saying Jones is a troll. Thought you said you didnt insult people in your comments! You truly do need help.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 7:38 pm //

That’s not what I said Rowdy.
          I said I don’t make personal insults against the commentators on this site.

• Oh I see…then you are saying you are good with insulting all others? Those who cannot defend themselves because they don’t comment here? I think mommy needs to unplug your internet feed.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 8:24 pm //

By all others if you mean the very people this site writes stories on than yes! Get a grip stop giving me the gears.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 8:32 pm //

Besides that Rowdy I might insult Jones for the job he does but not make PERSONAL INSULTS against him.

• Ladd Law // April 7, 2017 at 11:25 am //

Total BS or is referring to Jones as a down syndrome not an insult to both him and those who are??? Or do you forget that comment?

• SaskWatch // April 5, 2017 at 8:43 pm //

“And now you are saying Jones is a troll.”

That’s actually a pretty mild example Rowdy. Regarding my support for Chris Jones, stampland once compared me to a battered woman, stating:

“You are like the women who continually goes back to her husband after repeated beatings.’no he’s not really violent,you don’t know him like I do.He’s changed.’” (Note: grammar/punctuation errors are his, not mine)

Insulting me personally AND mocking battered women – Pretty classy stuff eh?

• So right SaskWatch. Perfect example of catching him at his own game. But he will certainly deny he said any such thing and will ask you to proove it.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 8:55 pm //

not really an insult I was using a crude analogy to make a point

• SaskWatch // April 6, 2017 at 2:08 am //

“not really an insult I was using a crude analogy to make a point”.

BS, I could post the entire exchange if you like. You fully intended to insult me with your inappropriate analogy, and you accomplished much more. But I’ve come to expect nothing less from folks like yourself.

• SaskWatch // April 6, 2017 at 5:33 pm //

Speak up stampland I can’t hear you.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 6, 2017 at 7:23 pm //

lol sure post whatever you want!!!!

13. Okay Stampers, didn’t mean to hurt your feelings. I will hereby cease from replying to your comments. I can tell when a guy has had enough and taps out. It has been fun though. Have a good night sir!

14. Okee dokee – whatever you say tough guy.

• mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 9:22 pm //

You know something Rowdy, You can criticize me all you want however please answer this question. What do you contribute to this site other than pounce on me after every comment I make??

15. Hey I contribute alot! It’s a big job pouncing on you for every comment you make. I am just saying what all others are thinking. I am the man of the people! Can I get an Amen….

• mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 9:38 pm //

you contribute nothing Rowdy.I look around..Nothing. Go hang out on Riderville if you can’t deal with what others say

16. What others? It’s only you that I can’t deal with. You think you know what you are talking about but really, you are only dust in the wind when it comes to real football intelligence. SaskWatch and Ladd Law are head and shoulders above you…si keep dreaming, mister football genious. Later dude, I am done.

17. mrnehnehincognito // April 5, 2017 at 10:03 pm //

dust in the wind,,,,I love that song..Now I’m thinking about it….that’s all your last comment was good for….Love that song.Think I’ll download it right now
    Thanks Ace