Ticats announce plans to release portion of neg list

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats are making some of the names on their negotiation list available to the public.

In a release sent out Friday, the team announced plans to release a series of videos featuring “scouting report and detailed information on two-to-three players” as described by Tiger-Cats’ front office staff.

The videos will be available the team’s free All-Access fan program but the first video, featuring general manager Eric Tillman discussing quarterback Johnny Manziel, offensive tackle Jason Weaver and receiver Jay Lee, is also posted to YouTube.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (953 Articles)

20 Comments on Ticats announce plans to release portion of neg list

1. Robert Ferguson // March 31, 2017 at 3:00 pm //

Drew you are a great sports man

2. Doug Kay // March 31, 2017 at 3:13 pm //

Good stuff, looking forward to seeing more.

3. stampland // March 31, 2017 at 3:26 pm //

sounds like a publicity stunt/promotion

• Of course if the Stamps did it you’d be praising them. Go drink some more red koolaid.

• stampland // March 31, 2017 at 4:16 pm //

I wasn’t being critical Trips. Just making a statement. I don’t need to drink red koolaid. Red blood flows naturally in all human bodies already.

• I applaud any CFL team willing to make public their neg list. The list is from a prehistoric time. Teams draft now. There is no secrecy when it comes to player personnel except in the CFL. Time for the league to get into the 21st century.

4. CFL Fan 1 // March 31, 2017 at 3:59 pm //

Hey Drew! Excellent work posting the video here in order to get people to NOT have to join Tiger-Cats All Access to see it… You must be doing the TC marketing team tons of favours with that move!

• ??? … it looks like a promotion by said TC marketing team. It is filed under the Tigercat TV YouTube channel so I doubt Drew uploaded it.

The Cat is out of the bag for this first video … with or without Drew’s article. *grin*

5. I would like to see a draft instead of a neg list which is a throwback to the 60’s with its secrecy.

• It’s secret for a reason and I’m not sure that everyone really understands why. It’s often said that GM’s don’t want the list scrutinized but it has nothing to do with fans being potentially irritating if they knew that such-and-such a player was on the list.

It’s confidential to the players themselves, not to fans. Reason is that if a player asks to negotiate a contract with you, you have to sign him within 10 (I believe) days or you lose his rights. Then, of course, if you sign him, you have to drop someone that you liked better in the first place. So you’re put in a bind.

So if a player like Brandon Banks was a negotiation list player (I don’t know either way but he seems like a good candidate), and Hamilton was not prepared to sign him at his request, he would have become available to all teams.

So if I’m a GM, I don’t want the player calling me, I want to call him when it suits me. And if he doesn’t know he’s on the list, he has no reason to call me. So I tell no one.

This is why only *some* players are being revealed. Probably it’s those who are least likely to trigger the negotiation list period. In Ottawa, Jamill Smith was on it when he was still a junior at university, if I recall correctly. There was no chance he’d call up so the team made his name available to local media at the time. Why not?

6. drambuie // March 31, 2017 at 5:23 pm //

This is a very cunning, creative way for the Ticats to broadcast to all other CFL teams loud and clear (before the upcoming CFL draft, when a lot of trades are made)that Hamilton has the rights to Manziel, and are willing to trade those rights for value equal to a player who could be “the next Flutie.” Excellent Tillman stategy!!!

• stampland // March 31, 2017 at 8:27 pm //

Everyone already knows Manziel is on neg list,along with RG III and Kaepernik so it’s no secret. Outside of 1 team I doubt there would be many biters

7. Pussycats // March 31, 2017 at 5:34 pm //

Sooooo …. Just in case you don’t like what’s on the field in 2017, you can scroll through the ‘Wish List’ and hope that a few of the existing ‘Holes’ in the line-up can get plugged. Nuts to that! The paying customers would appreciate having the team fixed NOW rather than ‘perhaps’ later.

• Alex Droho // March 31, 2017 at 6:20 pm //

I agree. A great strategy by the Ti-Cats brain trust to spark interest in a potential trade.

• So much is made about this ultra-secret list. It’s not what it’s cracked up to be.

If active player “A” is on the roster, it’s because negotiation list player “B” is either unavailable or considered not as good. Otherwise B would have been signed in his place.

• Philski // April 1, 2017 at 1:09 pm //

Agree. A headline like “TC’s sign bona fide kicker to replace Maher” would be more riveting for me.

8. stampland // March 31, 2017 at 8:43 pm //

Perhaps Tillman needs to wrap up Free agent camps and prepare for training camp rather than make videos

• The Iceman // April 3, 2017 at 11:57 am //

OK, you win. Dumbest post of the year.
      One hour out of Tillman’s day leaving only 23 hours to otherwise prepare for training camp. How dare he communicate with The Ticat Fans. The folks who care. Follow his team. So i guess other GMs don’t do interviews or any media?
      Bravo ET. Keep us Cats fans informed, we appreciate it!

9. Tom Jones // April 1, 2017 at 12:58 pm //

Manziel will be in the Hammer next season. He will then be partying in the Hess Village a few months after that. They put out my picture with silence, ’cause my identity by itself causes violence !!!

10. Looks like Eric Tillman has come up with a brilliant marketing plan to get offers for their Neg List assets. Ticats putting a nice package of hi-lites so that his CFL counterparts don’t have to do their own research.

Real subtle on Manziel – ‘either here or with another team’ .