Ticats add quarterback Robert Griffin III to neg list

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have added quarterback Robert Griffin III to their exclusive negotiation list.

The second overall pick by the Washington Redskins in 2012, RG3 was the NFL Rookie-of-the-Year that season but he has been injury-plagued for much of his career after that. He’s still just 27.

Waived last year by the Redskins, Griffin signed a two-year, $15 million contract with the Browns but broke his right shoulder while trying to run out of bounds in the season opener against Philadelphia and missed 11 games. He returned for the final four games and led the Browns to their only win of 2016.

Over his four-year career – he missed all of 2015 due to injury – Griffin has started 40 games, throwing for almost 9,000 yards and 42 touchdowns.

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk

Justin Dunk was a five-year starter at quarterback for the University of Guelph. He covers the league for Sportsnet and 3DownNation.
Justin Dunk
Justin Dunk
About Justin Dunk (363 Articles)

15 Comments on Ticats add quarterback Robert Griffin III to neg list

1. Hopefully Johnny Manziel has been dropped from the list in favour of these two?

2. Who’s next Moon, Thiesman, Palmer and Joe Kapp.

3. Steve Driver // March 20, 2017 at 5:29 pm //

The Karpernick & Griffin neg add list imeans that the TiCats are not convinced that Collaros is the man to helm this squad. Collaros would be wise to play well enough to justify his lucrative CFL contract & stay healthy while doing so or he will be given his outright release. Time for a Stevewieser !!!

4. Way off, Mr. Driver. Way off.

5. Zambiasi // March 20, 2017 at 9:16 pm //

Where’s Masoli in all this… was expecting him to be starting sooner than later. Zach won’t make it through another season with such a porous O-line.

6. mr62 cats // March 20, 2017 at 11:20 pm //

I don’t like the direction KA is taking this team. I never liked Kaepernick with the 49’ers, or his kneeling down antics.He neveer appeard to be consistent. RG3 and his injuries are also a problem. KA also seems to think some wonder kid will magically appear again by June. Solid kickers win games but apparently Austin prefers to gamble with that position.
    This is just the latest indication to me that the Cats are going backwards instead of forwards. Hope I am wrong.

• Absolutely agree with you on all points. You want to create a political platform, hey I respect that, go march somewhere or hold a peaceful protest, but it does’t belong on a sports entertainment field. He had one lucky run to a SB with San Fran, his head got big (no pun intended) and now kaput. As for Austin, his lack of urgency for a K/P or running game is indeed pointing this franchise southward. Hope I’m wrong too.

• mr62 cats // March 23, 2017 at 10:23 am //

Philski: Thanks. Re the kicker situation: I wonder if this last minute hiring decision has something to do with money. Maybe KA wants to put big bucks into the O line and defence and then hire a starting kicker on the cheap. Or maybe he is serious about RG3, who will definately not come cheap even by CFL standards.
        I always thought a steady kicker was in many ways like an insurance policy in that he can be relied on to account for at least 9 or 10 points a game 90 per cent of the time. Perhaps KA thinks a pass- happy offence doesn’t need a lot of points from a kicker. Who knows?
        Changing kickers so often and making late hires is still a big and unnecessary gamble to me.

• Been following this franchise since 1969…solid kickers like Sunter, Ruoff, and Ozzie always seemed to be the norm…I don’t know, maybe we were spoiled. What I do know though is that 1999 seems like a lifetime ago…and a GC is long overdue for this long suffering fan base…and in this 5th year of the present regime, if they still can’t reach the Promised Land, well…

7. Brett J'-V // March 24, 2017 at 1:10 pm //

I said The Tiger Cats are looking for a relly expensive to get rid of Collaros contract for offensives but I think th Cats should hold on to him for one more season because last year he was 3rd in passing yards and he only played 9 games he should be proven I would sign RG3 ov Karpernick but that’s me if Collaros has bad first half or get hurt trade Collaros for a line man

8. Brett J'-V // March 24, 2017 at 1:11 pm //

I said The Tiger Cats are looking for a really expensive to get rid of Collaros contract for offensives but I think the Cats should hold on to him for one more season because last year he was 3rd in passing yards and he only played 9 games he should be proven I would sign RG3 ov Karpernick but that’s me if Collaros has bad first half or get hurt trade Collaros for a line man

9. Brett J'-V // March 24, 2017 at 1:11 pm //

I said The Tiger Cats are looking for a really expensive to get rid of Collaros contract for offensives but I think the Cats should hold on to him for one more season because last year he was 3rd in passing yards and he only played 9 games he should be proven I would sign RG3 over Karpernick but that’s me if Collaros has bad first half or get hurt trade Collaros for a line man

• Well, $520,000 plus bonuses (what Collaros will earn for the 2017 season) is a lot of cash and certain people on this post get irked at me whenever I bring it up. But the fact of the matter is that you are paying a guy over half a million to play part time as he has not yet played a full season in the 3 years he has been here. Your comment re holding on to him for one more season is interesting because I suspect he is at the TC crossroads and has to have a solid season passing and stay out of IR. And yes, I agree, some of that $ can go towards strengthening up the O Line…or a kicker.