Suspended three times by NFL for weed, Frank Alexander signs with Lions

Defensive lineman Frank Alexander, a three-time offender of the NFL’s drug policy, signed with the B.C. Lions on Tuesday.

The Lions also signed linebacker Micah Awe and defensive back Matt Smalley have signed with the team. All three players are Americans.

The six-foot-four, 270-pound Alexander appeared in 29 games over four seasons with the Carolina Panthers. But he was also suspended three times for violating the NFL’s substance abuse policy, including for a year without pay in November 2015.

According to a 2015 Charlotte Observer story – before his year-long suspension – Alexander said he used marijuana for pain management.

“I didn’t do it before I went to work. I didn’t do it at work. It was simply like after I got out of practice, I wanted to kind of relax and chill. It kind of healed my body up,” he said. “It wasn’t like a thing I was doing all the time. I didn’t need it to get up and go.”

Given the rather lax approach to weed in B.C. and the fact that the CFL doesn’t test for marijuana as part of its substance abuse policy, Alexander should be just fine in Canada.

– with files from CP

14 Comments on Suspended three times by NFL for weed, Frank Alexander signs with Lions

1. Football101 // March 7, 2017 at 4:50 pm //

If this was a signing by Chris Jones and the Riders, they would be getting destroyed over it

2. LeftCoastLivin’

3. Yonus Davis // March 7, 2017 at 6:30 pm //

Wally’s going to seed, or should I say weed?

4. Bob Knows // March 7, 2017 at 8:28 pm //

It will be interesting to see how both the NFL and CFL deal with this once it is legalized. After all, it’s not like it is a performance enhancer.

• stampland // March 7, 2017 at 9:05 pm //

That’s true Bob, however to me this isn’t about what he did as much as doing something he knew was wrong and would be suspended for.Shows lack of character and commitment

5. Christopher // March 8, 2017 at 2:31 am //

Why is this even a story??? This is Canada… Weed is not a drug… its not tested by the CFL because it is not performance enhancing… 3 Down Nation is sensationalizing again…

6. SaskWatch // March 9, 2017 at 1:27 am //

This shouldn’t be an issue in either league. Pot’s like the polar opposite of a PED… Clearly it’s nothing players use before or during games.

7. Ladd Law // March 10, 2017 at 2:45 pm //

He came to the right province. Most people don’t have a clue what pot is or is not. Far from a performance enhancer. More like a performance enjoyment’er. He wouldn’t be alone in any league.