Riders cancel open tryout in Montreal that would have violated CFL bylaws

The Saskatchewan Roughriders were forced to cancel an open tryout in Montreal that would have violated CFL bylaws.

While all CFL teams hold off-season workouts in cities across the U.S., it’s unusual – if not unheard of – for a CFL team to host an event in a rival city. For good reason, as it turns out.

“Should the Riders have gone ahead with the tryout, it would have been against our League bylaws,” said Paulo Senra, the CFL’s director of communications. “A team can only hold those tryouts in Canada within their club’s protected territory. For the ‘Riders, that is the province of Saskatchewan.”

The league was alerted to the workout by Montreal Alouettes general manager Kavis Reed.

I’m told #AlsMTL GM Kavis Reed notified #CFL about Riders’ Montreal open tryout session – and now it’s off. Chris Jones has chutzpah

The event was listed on the Riders page detailing their other tryouts but has since been deleted. But we have a screen cap.

This isn’t the first time the Riders have faced league scrutiny since Jones took over as general manager and head coach before the 2016 season. In August, the CFL fined the Roughriders $60,000 and reduced the team’s salary cap by $26,000 for practising with ineligible players. That same month, the was also fined for violating the league’s ratio rules.

83 Comments on Riders cancel open tryout in Montreal that would have violated CFL bylaws

1. stampland // March 7, 2017 at 7:21 pm //

CFL stands for Canadian Football league right?
    Not the Chris Football League right?
    Someone better make sure Jones this

2. So what rule was broken? Are the Als even going to have any tryouts in Montreal?

• stampland // March 7, 2017 at 7:36 pm //

no rule broke but its pretty disrespectful to move into another teams territory,How wold you feel if Als held tryout in Regina? You wouldn’t be happy would you? Just further shows Jones overall attitude,disrespect and unsportsmanlike behavior.
      The league needs to shake itself like a wet dog and get rid of this guy.He hurts us all

• Have to agree with swampland (another first). Jones doesn’trespect the league or the team. He is an embarrassment to the Riders. Another classless and stupid move from the man with no plan!

• Well Ryan and Stampland, I am going to go with Paulo Senra (the CFL’s director of communications) and think that there was a rule broken.

• Christopher // March 8, 2017 at 1:52 am //

• The quote is that a CFL bylaw limits each team to their protected area. It seems clear that going into another team’s protected area breaks the intent of the bylaw.

Or have you managed to find the CFL bylaws online where you believe there is a loop hole or misrepresentation in the quote?

Without the specific bylaw text and so far, any sign of protests from the Riders – what makes you think the alleged bylaw violation is bogus?

• George Porge // March 8, 2017 at 10:55 am //

> So what rule was broken?

Had the tryout gone ahead (read: had Kavis Reed not caught wind of it and informed the CFL), it would have violated a CFL bylaw. While Chris Jones cancelling the tryout before it happened means he didn’t officially break the rule, the fact that the tryout was even advertised shows he was pretty intent on breaking that rule.

> Are the Als even going to have any tryouts in Montreal?

Maybe. Maybe not. That’s their choice, not Jones’.

3. Big Gus // March 7, 2017 at 7:35 pm //

Jones just keeps pushing the envelope.

4. This is a joke. And your site has nothing better to report?

• Billinburlington // March 7, 2017 at 8:45 pm //

Sadly, the article is no joke. The Riders really did plan to gave an open tryout in Montreal.

• Billinburlington // March 7, 2017 at 8:57 pm //

This just in…. looking to buy a house in Montreal? I just heard That the Roughriders might have just put one on the market!

5. Stampland. If the Als had a try-out in Regina no one would show up anyway. Bunch of whiners……..

• stampland // March 7, 2017 at 7:47 pm //

John.I tell you and rider nation this out of love……your denial has to stop! This is not going to end well for you

• I don’t agree with much you put on here Stampland but I do respect everyone’s right to there personal opinion but this I have to agree with. John, not sure if you are a Riders fan or what exactly you are. First off “This is a joke. And your site has nothing better to report?”, are you kidding me! This is a story and it has been posted rightfully so. It stems to think there was some truth in the Manzel story, “where there is smoke there is fire.” and lets face it Jones’s pants are a blaze all the time. Oh if you don’t get it, liar, liar! If this was in the NFL it would be major news. And secondly really sad what has become of the Riders we Ticats fans use to have a little respect for them.

6. Another Jones blunder, have to agree with swampland another first. Just another silly/stupid move by Jones.

• Brian Lazorko // March 9, 2017 at 2:53 pm //

The Manziel story was just a Dunk stab in the dark that didn’t work out. Hopefully it is the last time you will here anything silly like Dunk “is never wrong” or Dunk’s sources are “reliable”.

7. This move allows many kids who don’t have a shot at a pro tryout to get a taste. Good on the Riders especially because there is no rule. As well, if Montreal has a problem then they should host a camp. Otherwise keep there nose out of it. I don’t see what the big deal is.
    Ps: Stampland: thanks for keeping it a little cleaner these last few days. I personally like the devils advocates point of view on the Riders. My heart is green with optimism as it’s been that way my entire life. The Riders are Chris Jones team and I look forward to reading all the comments when he makes us a perennial contender.

• stampland // March 7, 2017 at 8:26 pm //

I think most Canadian prospects are already known. There are far less CIS, Canadian Jr teams/players than there are Import NCAA teams/players.
      The combine is what is used for their evaluation.Having said that perhaps having a Canadian open tryout isn’t a bad idea (after all Rob Cote was fairly unknown). However; don’t have it in the city of another team.Have in in Quebec city or Halifax (a place where league is looking a possible expansion).
      If I’m wrong on my outlook of the Riders I’ll be the first to admit it and take the heat

• There is a rule

• No rule, eh?

Since you are happy dispensing with the protected territory bylaw – makes me wonder why player who was suspended didn’t claim there was “no rule” that they had to come off the active roster.

8. Truth Seeker // March 7, 2017 at 8:16 pm //

Mavis a d- bag.

9. OMG. They are worried about the Riders. There is nothing wrong with teams doing open workouts anywhere this is the CFL not go south and your good.

• ??? … if it’s okay to ignore the bylaws, why aren’t clubs ignoring the bylaw that a club must be ahead by at least one point to win the game in regulation?

Doing so would have changed the game results including playoffs and championship game.

Or is it okay to break one bylaw but not others?

10. Give me a break! Go ahead and hold a tryout in Regina or where ever you want to have one. Are the Alouettes even holding a tryout in Montreal? Why not give Canadians a chance to showcase their talents? There are many talented football players in Quebec or other places in Canada that may never get a chance to play because coaches repeatedly hold their tryouts south of the border. I wish CFL teams would hold more tryouts across Canada.

• stampland // March 7, 2017 at 8:40 pm //

Again issue isn’t about Canadians getting opportunity .Its about respect. I wonder if Jones doesn’t have a vendetta against Al’s because he didn’t get what he wanted in DD trade? HMMMMM

• No … the issue is about sticking the bylaws, as written and in total.

If the territorial bylaw is at the team’s discretion, why wouldn’t a losing team ignore the bylaw that says a team must be ahead by one or more points to win in regulation? Or the bylaw that says a win is worth two points in the divisional standings?

After all, bylaws aren’t rules or binding on teams, right?

Selectively applying the bylaws means it should have been a Rider – Cats Grey Cup, right?

• Totally agree. Teams should be obligated to hold try-outs in Canada. They can still have try-outs in the US too.

• S McBride (TFMCB ) // March 7, 2017 at 9:58 pm //

That’s what the combines are for! And most teams already have staff dedicated to scouting out Canadian players. Turns out it would have broken a CFL bylaw so Reed was right to inform the league.

11. Bob Knows // March 7, 2017 at 8:31 pm //

Check out the picture of Jones in this article. Grey Cup logo in the background, Bomber Blue stadium seats… hilarious… Jones is an Eskimo in the picture!!!!

• As Stampland once said to myself. Do you have anything pertaining to the article? Or do you just like to look at pictures? Tell me, What does Bob really know??

• Bob Knows // March 7, 2017 at 9:36 pm //

Wow. You sound just like uncle nik. And Bob knows you are just like stampland.

• Bob Knows // March 7, 2017 at 9:39 pm //

VOR, someone @ 3Down Nation is paying attention to what I wrote. They changed the picture!!!! Boom….

12. Hey Stampland

You say – its respect —- so lets hear how Quebec respects Canada , ya ok — respect !

13. There’s got to be consequences!

14. These are professional teams. Not local teams. Montreal has more people than the province of Sask. that means a lot more players getting over looked. Do you think there are any good football players in Canada that do not go to University? If Kavis”there will be consequences ” Reed was thinking he would of paid his $100 entry and showed up.

15. Stampland……………Jones doesn’t have a vendetta against Al’s because he got rid of a one hit your done qb and got the better part of the deal. You should spend your time trying to get your team not to choke every year.

16. stampland // March 7, 2017 at 9:25 pm //

one hit your done qb??? what does that mean? If you only win one cup your not a good qb? wow the list of good qbs just got very short

• I think the guy meant that hitting Durant with a solid tackle would injure his now injury-prone body. Hence the term ‘one hit your done qb’. Again you are trying to stir things up Stampland.

• stampland // March 8, 2017 at 5:52 pm //

ahh you might be right Rowdy Rod.I misunderstood.I stand corrected

• Awesome Stampland appreciate that you can be humble and accept when you misunderstand sometimes. Maybe there is some good in that you after all.

17. Ron Bates // March 7, 2017 at 9:36 pm //

Who is advising the Riders brass? Nice to know Arizona wasn’t a player tryout and the Coyotes are hockey!

18. stampland // March 7, 2017 at 10:00 pm //

Look I don’t think Jones is being blamed for holding a Canadian tryout. Although not much is likely to be uncovered its still worth a shot.Quebec is a hot bed for football no doubt about it..for the next paragraph I am the voice in Chris Jones head:

I think I might be able to find a hidden gem within the vast hotbed of Quebec football.Montreal is the hub and easiest place to get to ;it would be a great place to hold it..however given the unfair fines I was given last year and the fact I’ve burned bridges with past employers and my reputation of being unsportsmanlike by doing things like refusing to shake other coaches hand maybe I should think about this a little.It might ruffle some feathers further harming my reputation and my employers reputation, who pays me a very large salary.Maybe instead I should hold it else where or send a memo to head office and Alouettes to explain my intentions as to why Montreal is the best place to hold this

19. TicatQ93 // March 7, 2017 at 10:07 pm //

What Jones did isn’t illegal… but neither is farting in an elevator. Common courtesy is hard to come by these days.

• Christopher // March 8, 2017 at 2:03 am //

Yes, it is illegal… it violated the CFL By-Laws…

• No more illegal than at the end of regulation time for a game being down by five points then telling one’s opponent “keeping playing – the bylaw says you win but we are ignoring it”.

20. Am I missing something? The CFL office says it’s against its bylaws. I gather Jones knows the bylaws &, if not, fine him just for the continued stupidity. Really, Rider fans should be embarrassed. Enough of the amateur hour & time for Jones to grow up. If he pulls the wool over our eyes, great. You’re clever. But this ongoing nonsense begs the question who’s in charge? Could Reynolds or O’Day or someone step up & save Chris from further ridicule?

21. Why does everyone on here think Jones was looking for Canadians? Nothing in the advertisement limits it to nationals.

22. stampland // March 7, 2017 at 10:23 pm //

what else would he be looking for in Quebec?

23. stampland // March 7, 2017 at 10:58 pm //

Its hard to believe John Murphy has been in this league 9 years and Jones just has long if not longer.Its very hard to imagine they wouldn’t understand this territorial bylaw.Clearly Kavis Reed did

24. RIDER FAN // March 7, 2017 at 11:05 pm //

Lol. I think this is being blown way out of proportion! There was going to be a tryout in Montreal and now there’s not! All the Jones haters looking for anything to get a swipe at Jones need to go away, get a life! NOTHING TO SEE HERE! NEXT!

• stampland // March 7, 2017 at 11:18 pm //

Riderfan,There IS something to see here ,Either he tried to cheat again or he is too incompetent to do the job ,Defending this guy in becoming untenable

• It is surprising as some on his staff have years of experience in the CFL.

Either they knew the bylaw but chose to ignore it or they are making plans without knowing the bylaws. Neither looks good.

IMO, it’s far worse the number of fans that keep saying no rule was broken when the bylaws they don’t see as rules set things like “more points at end of regulation = win”, “win = two points in divisional standings” etc.

If Austin at the end of the Edmonton – Hamilton ESF said “more points does not equal a win, keep playing” … would the same “no rules were broken” folks say “fair enough, keep playing”? Somehow I doubt it.

25. Riders13 // March 7, 2017 at 11:19 pm //

Either Jones was an idiot or he was openly flaunting the rules…take your pick. As a Rider and CFL fan, this is an embarrassment.

26. What makes someone a Jones hater for pointing out he doesn’t know league rules? I follow the Riders & tire of him tarnishing the Rider brand. When Jones came here everyone fell all over themselves over his ability to recognize & develop talent. So where is it? We have a QB who’s on his 3rd team in 3 yrs, Ottawa’s 3 Rd string RB, & Carter, Roosevelt & Grant as receivers, not to mention 2 Nationals Bagg & Demski. Who were discovered by Jones/Murphy? None of them. Two years in & at this point the dynamic duo have to be the biggest player in free agency again because the 3000 players Jones himself says they evaluated last year have yielded squat. That’s not Jones hating, that’s stating the facts. I’ll be happy to give him credit when he gets the Riders into the playoffs. For all the credit he & Murphy get for finding players in Calgary you’d think Hufnagel did nothing. Well, the Stamps bring in a Daniels & Jones finds guys like Holley & Edwards. (Collins was a Bomber cut). Not the same thing – the Stamps & Esks are doing just fine without them.

27. stampland // March 8, 2017 at 12:12 am //

Does anyone else feel a little manipulated with this story?It came out reported the als were upset over riders having open tryout in Montreal.We all assumed (and rightfully so based on content) that Als complaint was based on them doing this in als city.Then additional info comes out (and a new pic of jones now in appropriate rider colors)stating the complaint was based on riders breaking bylaw over territorial players .Was this intentional does anyone think?? (or am I out to lunch on this)

28. Anyone here have a copy of the league bylaws. I have a feeling the territorial protection thing went out a long time ago. This statement is a way of protecting the Als and league from embarrassing themselves if the Riders unearth a gem of a player from Quebec. With the financial woes of the Als they can’t have that. Saying that every player in Canada is known to everyone is a hoax. No way can teams know every player in every territory. The Als have a huge advantage in Quebec, 1-because of the population of the province and 2-that it’s a true football hotbed with thousands of kids playing.
    That said I would just hold the camp in Plattsburgh.The only question is how insurance affects the Canadian Kids going down if something happens to them.
    If you ain’t cheating you ain’t trying.

• stampland // March 8, 2017 at 10:48 am //

There’s only 2 ways for a Canadian kid on Canadian soil are good enough to be pro caliber. CIS and to a lesser extent Canadain JR Program.These players are well known and it’s unlikely there is some Cinderella tale out there

• Why would you think CFL clubs or the CFL would get rid of the territorial bylaws?

The local kid who makes the local pro team is a big interest point and possibly ticket seller (ex. Jesse Lumsden as well as Andy Fantuz in Hamilton, Giguere in Montreal, Neil King Edmonton).

The local pro team being able to identify the kid without worries about other teams being in contact sounds like an advantage to me.

As recently as 2014, the territory bit was in the bylaws.

As for the Als advantage … why’d they miss out on the Laval guys who ended up in Calgary or Hamilton?

Looking at the 2014 Canadian college draft, they took a Quebec player first then three Ontario, two Manitoba before taking another Quebec player.

Calgary in the same draft took five Quebec players before they took their first non-Quebec pick (Ontario). It seems Calgary valued Quebec players.

29. patlynch // March 8, 2017 at 5:47 am //

Wow! Jones reminds me of another guy who just does dumb sh** without thinking. Next thing, Jones will be tweeting at 6:00 in the morning about league wiretaps.

30. Bob Smith // March 8, 2017 at 8:16 am //

Can some one please direct me to the appropriate regulation or bylaw in regards to this. I would like to take a look and have had no luck finding it.

31. Ganggreen // March 8, 2017 at 8:42 am //

Show me the bylaw that would have been violated don’t just tell me that it was against CFL rules. I looked at the bylaws and I didn’t see anything about workouts just about playing games. I’m getting sick and tired of Porridge making this league look bush. You don’t ever hear a word from him unless it’s negativity of some sort. I don’t see nothing wrong with giving kids that don’t have the money or grades to go to university a chance to play pro football. It’s time that Porridge starts promoting fun in our game and leave the politics alone for a change. Is it June yet?

• stampland // March 8, 2017 at 10:51 am //

I think everyone needs to stop playing lawyer here.The only making this league look bush is Jones

32. Ganggreen // March 8, 2017 at 8:44 am //

Here are the CFL By-Laws. I don’t see anything about try-outs. https://cflpa.com/download/appendix-e-cfl-constitution/

33. Mr Curling has been to all Canadian Provinces and knows Canadian Minor football. He feels for the poor young men in Montreal, ignored by the Alouettes, who now will never get to live their dream. Shame on the CFL. Interesting Stampeder fans seem to be worried, no overt reason, must be the inferiority complex or their sudden lack of depth at Quarterback

• stampland // March 8, 2017 at 10:54 am //

Mr Curling .Speaking for stamps fans the only concern in our world is a chubby little coach/GM just east of us who mocks this league everyday

• And now you speak for the entire Stamps fan base? Come on man! Are you authorized to speak on their behalf?

• stampland // March 8, 2017 at 4:08 pm //

I think its fairly safe to say most stamp fans share what I said yes

• You THINK its fairly safe to say most stamps fans share what you said? So in other words you have no authority to speak on behalf of Stamps fans – maybe you should speak only on your behalf from now on.

34. Mr Curling // March 8, 2017 at 1:07 pm //

Mr Curling once said “let me have about me men that are Chubby” Mr Curling is afraid of lean and hungry GM’s and Coaches like the Stampeders have

• stampland // March 8, 2017 at 3:02 pm //

what ever you say uncle nikky/Auncle olaf/auntie marta

• auntie-nik-olaf. Why is it you keep getting kicked off these boards? You must feel like a fool, a lot, all the time. The grand clown of vegerville, as you are known around here.

35. Sask Football // March 8, 2017 at 4:55 pm //

It is the Canadian Football League. CFL teams hold tryouts all over the US. If the league was truely interested in promoting Canadian talent they would have bylaws allowing teams to hold open tryouts all over Canada so teams could escavate talent and provide opportunity for Canadian kids that would not be otherwise granted. Those in the know underersnd many great players get overlooked in the combine process. If teams are upset about having the backyards raided, do your homework or shut up! I would hope ALL CFL teams would be interested in having open tryouts across Canada. If not, ask yourself, as a fan, what are player personnel employees doing to get a paycheck. Canadian talent on CFL rosters usually wins Grey Cups. Just my opinion.

36. Ladd Law // March 8, 2017 at 5:57 pm //

Gas on a fire.

37. Mr Curling // March 8, 2017 at 6:19 pm //

Mr Curling agrees with Sask Football, but a quick peruse of the CFL bylaws reveals only Junior players are protected in the territory of a team, so 23 year olds and up are not, so careful about slandering the Roughriders since they may in fact not have done anything wrong

38. Omg..Everything the Riders do is so important to the trolls of Canada..
    Man try cheering for your teams instead of hating on sask.
    It will be very satisfying to get that cup back where it should be..in the heart of the cfl.

• stampland // March 10, 2017 at 1:31 pm //

Believe me no one cheers louder for stamps than me.I bleed stamps.Unfortunately off season is long and stamps as usual have nothing going on; all is calm.
      Lets face it.Riders are entertaining as hell right now.Its like watching the new white house administration.

• stampland // March 11, 2017 at 12:38 am //

Agreed Cup should be where it belongs.Calgary heart of the CFL

• Ladd Law // March 14, 2017 at 3:11 pm //

Save your breath Anon . . . the Rider haters on here are clueless and relentless. Funny though, they always seem to be Stump fans. I wonder why that is?