CFL critic Dean Blundell fired by The Fan 590

Dean Blundell, who earned the ire of CFL fans with a series of critical Tweets last spring, has been fired by SportsNet as the host of the morning show on The Fan 590 in Toronto.

“Dean Blundell is an incredibly talented broadcaster,” said Dave Cadeau, the station’s program director. “The decision to part was based purely on a desire to return to a more complete sports format. I enjoyed working with Dean and wish him the very best.”

Blundell took some flak on Twitter after asking listeners whether they’d choose to watch the CFL or MLS if held against their will. The reaction from both soccer and football fans in Toronto and across the country was predictable outrage.

If you were held against your will for a week and had to watch either the #CFL or the#MLS, which would you choose?

— Dean Blundell (@ItsDeanBlundell) May 17, 2016

This is the second high-profile radio gig Blundell has lost. He was fired by Toronto radio station The Edge 102.1 in 2014 after making comments deemed to be homophobic.

Former morning show host Greg Brady returns to the early slot on The Fan, along with Elliott Price and Hugh Burrill.

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (1568 Articles)

27 Comments on CFL critic Dean Blundell fired by The Fan 590

1. Never heard of this guy, but I can’t say I’m sorry to hear he lost his job if he attacked the CFL in an asinine effort to prolong his radio career.

• Lol cfl is grabage i cant believe this many ppl watch it

• Tyrone Polanski // February 8, 2017 at 8:09 pm //

The CFL ROCKS!You Are GARBAGE!

• NFLDTiCatsfan // February 9, 2017 at 7:03 am //

Let’s examine your wonderful comment:
        Capital”C”, small “flol” says:

Laugh out loud small “cfl” is “grab age” i cant (whatever a can t is) believe this many ppl (purple?) watch it

Wow. Just amazing. No single post could better sum up the level of the room for people who rag on the CFL. The bar has been set, and it is low. Very, very low. You, sir, are a national treasure. Whenever anyone mocks the CFL, I will simply cut and paste your post, so they can see exactly who they stand with. I will now respond in your language:

i hop u n-jopy ur NfL it is fun 2 see a team win the supper bowl based ona coInFlip

2. I didn’t know anyone still listened to AM.

3. I recall that exchange. As he was basically saying that the league was inferior, someone asked him if his career was any less significant because he was on radio instead of television.

4. Brandon Atkinson // February 8, 2017 at 1:33 pm //

Good. Now the need to fire mccowan. Get rid of the anti cfl chumps…

5. Dean has an opinion just like anyone else. Why should he be fired for that? It was funny and not rude or racial or obscene. People need to get a life. I’m so tired of this kind of childishness. Dean is an outstanding host.

6. I guess he can go and spew his BS someplace else. Is Arash next to be relieved of his duties??? However I’m sure Arash could get a job in the CFL Head Office as he knows everything there is know about managing a Proffesional Sports League or team, just ask him

7. Jim Harvie // February 8, 2017 at 2:07 pm //

Argos should have him do in stadium stuff

8. Don’t let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya

9. Dean Blundell is a goof. He wasn’t funny when The Edge/CFNY fired him. Now he’s unemployed which is not surprising. He couldn’t catch a football let alone have an intelligent opinion about football. Good riddance.

Now if only Arash Madani was fired from this site. His constant negativity towards the CFL is incredibly annoying.

10. He is a goof as well as his sidekicks on the fan 590 that crew is the best example of the pure ignorance pinning nfl against cfl with no valid point
    I sometimes turn from 900 chml to the fan on the morning on way to work and at times hear the mocking and slagging of the cfl. Glad to see him go .

11. Lol…he tried to delegitimize the CFL by saying ‘isn’t your product watered down if a 40 yr old QB can win the Grey Cup and MVP?’all while Tom Brady at 39 was leading the Patriots down the stretch a couple of months ago. I’ll start listening again…

12. I have a question, The Fan590 is owned by Rogers, right?

So did Dean Blundell really not like the CFL, or was he just towing the party line?

13. Hey, why can’t we all get along! And, say, is Marsha going to be joining Greg on the early show?

14. Barry Malindine // February 8, 2017 at 7:24 pm //

That’s Rogers for you, grasping at straws again, old hat broadcasting, sub standard just like the CFL.
    Oh and where in the press release did it say fired!
    Bush league sensationalized journalism again

15. Brandon Atkinson // February 8, 2017 at 7:41 pm //

The Rogers worshippers love to put down the only truly canadian professional sports league…

And really for no fathomable reason at all.

16. Jade Mcdermott // February 9, 2017 at 1:48 am //

They should fire wilner he is an ass

17. Flying Wing // February 9, 2017 at 9:33 am //

Glad to see Blundell gone. I do listen to the FAN590 but they were many times that I wanted to smash through the radio and grab not only Blundell by the neck but those other idiots Fabro and Rusic as well. They’re grovelling before the grand altar of the NFL was nauseating. Typical of their generation although the CFL does deserve some of the blame for losing that group but maybe they weren’t worth it anyway. Glad to hear that Greg Brady is coming back. Liked him before and couldn’t understand why they dumped him for a proven loser like Blundell.

18. NotJoshSmith // February 9, 2017 at 9:33 am //

Dean Blundell is a genuine knucklehead but his once again, previously fired replacement Marsha Brady is a renowned CFL hater. He just doesn’t even mention CFL on the air. He does play by play for the NFL when they play in Europe, he’s slammed the CFL many a times mostly in tweets and won’t ever give the CFL any airtime on radio, what a joke.

19. I started listening to TSN 1050 during my morning drive to work. I really enjoy Naylor and Landsberg together. You can usually count on a little bit of CFL talk even if it is only for a minute. Naylor usually uses examples of some of his past experiences covering the CFL and compares it to something someone else is talking about in another sport.
    Also, I must say I enjoy Michael Landsberg a lot more on the radio then I did when he hosted off the record. He seems very friendly and genuine and I give him a lot of respect for being so open about his struggles with his mental illness.

20. TSN radio: they discuss CFL. Sportsnet Radio: never heard of it. Politics.
    Blundell is one of many idiots on Toronto sports radio – the talent pool is obviously pretty slim. No loss there.
    McCowan only talks CFL when one of his “pals” owns or runs the Argos.

21. thomasammy81 // February 14, 2017 at 2:46 am //

Most of us want to have good income but dont know how to do that on Internet there are a lot of methods to earn huge sum, but whenever Buddies try that they get trapped in a scam/fraud so I thought to share with you a genuine and guaranteed method for free to earn huge sum of money at home anyone of you interested should visit the page. I am more than sure that you will get best result.
    Best Of Luck for new Initiative!

••••••••••••► http://www.centerpay70.com