$30 pizza deal includes free Grey Cup tix

Would you like free Grey Cup tickets with that?

More than a dozen Pizza Pizza locations across Hamilton are offering a walk-in special that includes a three-topping large pizza, 10 chicken wings, four cans of pop and two dipping sauces… and two free tickets to the Grey Cup game in Toronto.

greycuppizzafull

It’s just the latest sign that ticket sales for Sunday’s championship between the Ottawa Redblacks and the Calgary Stampeders aren’t going well. With 16 Hamilton stores offering 15 pairs of tickets, that’s nearly 500 tickets to the 35,000 seat BMO Field essentially being given away for free.

That’s likely to further anger those who paid face value for tickets, despite concerns over high costs and the decision last month to slash ticket prices.

Employees of broadcast rights holder TSN were offered up to five free tickets late last week and Bell employees were also extended an offer for two free seats to the game. Organizers said Wednesday there were less than 2,000 tickets available. Where the tickets came from isn’t clear, though the Hamilton Tiger-Cats confirmed they were not the source.

Organizers said yesterday that were less than 2,000 tickets available to the game.

“Although it may have been made with good intentions, it didn’t have proper authorization,” the CFL said in a statement. “Once it was brought to our attention we had the promotion pulled immediately.”

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards

Drew Edwards is into his eighth season covering the CFL and the Ticats for the Hamilton Spectator. He is the founder and editor of 3DownNation.
Drew Edwards
Drew Edwards
About Drew Edwards (820 Articles)

25 Comments on $30 pizza deal includes free Grey Cup tix

1. Sara Moore nice work

2. Can I get “extra anchovies”?

3. Sara Moore is useless. Better be fired.

4. Speaking of toppings, this deal tops off the extremely unfortunate set of circumstances that have bedeviled the Toronto CFL franchise this year, led by the complete incompetence of the General Manager Jim Barker and the barely less incompetent Head Coach Scott Milanovich. And some dodo somewhere envisioned that the Argonauts had a decent chance to be in that Grey Cup at BMO Field. I can see Barker and Milanovich huddling, putting their tiny brain cells togehter, and thinking out loud – “let’s make it happen!” – before destroying the team. And still today there is talk about maybe keeping these Bozo Bros for another year, so they can maybe eliminate the Toronto Argonauts from the CFL forever.

• Somehow Barker and Milanovich won the 2012 GC, with a 9-9 regular season squad.

I guess the dodo figured a more football friendly stadium and local GC site would be enough to motivate a repeat performance.

5. Centerline // November 24, 2016 at 3:19 pm //

Memories of ’96 When Tim Hortons were selling $25 Tickets to the cup in the Hammer. Game has not been back since.

6. If Hamilton made it to the Grey Cup, they would have sold it out.

7. Jimmy Breslin // November 24, 2016 at 4:16 pm //

This is so embarrassing for the league and no wonder those who paid top dollar and continue to do so – hello Ottawa fans being suckered – it will leave a bad taste for a long long time.

8. This did not need to happen. It weakens the CFL brand tremendously. A few empty seats is much better than the image that this bush league marketing creates.

9. Jimmy Breslin // November 24, 2016 at 4:31 pm //

This should be a lesson to never ever give the game to Toronto, ever again – clowns !!

10. I’m one of the thousands that paid full price for the nosebleed end zone seats, so seeing this is incredibly frustrating. I know Drew would appreciate it if we didn’t swear in the comments so I’ll refrain myself

11. I’m reading some very angry comments from agitated and alienated Argos fans over on their fan forum who have already paid big bucks for tickets.

Mad enough that they are mentioning giving up season’s tickets next year.

Pizza Pizza must have picked up these seats from the Argos unsold inventory. You’d almost think the Argos were doing these sort of crazy stunts deliberately to run the team into the ground.

12. Bob McKnight // November 24, 2016 at 5:51 pm //

I paid full price for 8 tickets. I had to sell 2 and got about half the money for them. Now I have to count myself lucky. What a joke this new regime in the CFL is. The Argos should never have been granted the game. I think Hamilton would’ve done a bang up job selling tickets and how about Ottawa they deserve the game at their house more too. I guess the new logo with the ends of the football cut off means it’s a discount league. I have never been more dissapointeD with this league. The brand of football I love and prefer. Orridge is the Bettman of the CFL. He is going to drive fans away in big numbers. I am zero excited about going to this Grey Cup. I wanted to have fun but now this Pizza Pizza BS has me seething.

13. What a disaster. This is going to be a black eye for the CFL for years to come. Many traveling early ticket buyers will certainly not buy Grey Cup tickets for a long time thanks to this. I certainly would not. Jeffry Orridge must be dreading his state of the league address on Friday.

14. The league just stepped in and shut down the promotion. Doesn’t matter, the damage is already done. http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl/cfl-shuts-pizza-promotion-offering-grey-cup-tickets/

15. Tim Horton Field was half empty for the East Semi Final. BC Place was a Funeral. Not a Toronto thing…

• Terry Baxter // November 26, 2016 at 10:11 am //

True that. This GC has the exposed the CFL. The emperor has no clothes. After several years of positive talk of sell outs etc, the truth is revealed, but more importantly is now being talked about. Attendance is crap in most cities. Orridge looked like a captain of a ship that is taking on water at his presser yesterday. Wrt to the TSN numbers being up…these figures should be submitted to methodical doubt. I would like to see the methodology used to arrive at these rosy figures. Within the next 5 years we will be seeing bankruptcies again.

16. Flying Wildcat // November 24, 2016 at 9:43 pm //

More importantly, did the people who payed full price for their tickets get a free pizza?

17. I thought my name was tucker, but I guess it is SUCKER!!

18. Way to go CFL. You look like morons.Talk about disrespecting your fanbase.

19. Im making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do,

========>>> http://www.Nypost55.com

20. What an embarrassment for the championship game. Unfortunately it is not unique to Toronto. Calgary gave away and discounted a ton of tickets for the west final as well, or else there would have been a half empty stadium for the game between the Lions and Stamps.

21. Just to give the CFL that extra kick in the nuts it really didn’t need when its down, the Pizza Pizza advertising folks stole “Tackle Hunger,” an important cause related marketing initiative that the CFL is involved in, as a play on words to sell their lousy deal. This is so tacky on so many levels!

Imagine if you will, San Jose area Papa John’s offering a pie, chicken wings, 4 sodas, dipping sauce and, oh yea, Super Bowl Tickets(!) for $29.99?? Yeesh.

22. This offer was quickly cancelled

• Terry Baxter // November 26, 2016 at 11:24 am //

Makes no difference JMac. The damage was done. This is a PR blow the league will not recover from. It has become a laughing stock.